Saturday, January 5, 2013

You Say it's your birthday?

A very quick and brief blog....so today this author turns "50" a milestone in ones life. It causes pause and often makes one feel that today is more a day of reflection than it is celebration. You think to yourself...."Fifty? Have I done anything with my life? Have I truly accomplished anything? I mean when I think of someone like John Lennon, by the age of 40 he had done so much in his life and most of it in less than 20 years! How does one measure their accomplishments over the last 50 years?

Well to be fair...the first 5 don't really count too much as, you are learning to walk, talk, eat without having to use your fingers. Yes those are accomplishments, but you know the kind I'm talking about. 

One of the ways to see if you're getting anywhere close to your goals is make up a goal wish list. Be grandiose, let your imagination run free. Write down ten things you want to accomplish say in the next 5 years.  

I did this back in 1990 and was shocked many years later while moving I came across my list and learned I was actually able to scratch off many of the things I dreamt of!

I don't remember them all, but these were the things I thought at the time were unattainable.

1. To own my own theatre.  
That happened on May 3, 1997 and lasted until December 5, 2005

2. Own a Jaguar car.
I've since owned 2 of them. ( I don't want another.)

3. Get published
That happened April 2000
"Silence" and my play, "Bob's Your Auntie" 
Since then: "An Apple For Zoe" "Let's Get Lade" ( a play as a novella) and recently
"Forever ME".

I can't remember the others but these were at the time to me...three impossible things to accomplish.

My goal today is to write full time for a living...that is my birthday wish.
Perhaps to even see one of my novels made into a Hollywood movie.


I think the key to all of this is to not give up and realize anything worth doing takes time.


1 comment:

Riza said...

Hi! I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award, if you don't mind. Check out my blog for more details. :) happy birthday again!

http://rzzzp.blogspot.com

~Riza